Open Faced Bean Sandwiches
- Fat Free Refried Beans
- 4 Slices of whole wheat bread, toasted
- A sprinkle of shredded cheddar
- A sprinkle of shredded lettuce (iceberg gives a great crunch, romaine or other leafy lettuces deliver better nutrition – take your pick!)
- Finely diced fresh tomatoes (optional – I have a hard time eating anything without tomatoes…)
- Dash hot sauce (also optional)
- Toast bread slices. Spread beans liberally (about 2 TBS) over toast.
- Sprinkle with cheese and broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and beans are warmed.
- Remove promptly from broiler, place on serving plate, and sprinkle shredded lettuce to taste on top.
- Serve with a side of fruit. Hot sauce optional.