Ok. So you just had Burritos. YUM!
Now what to do with the refried beans and filling leftovers…
Sure I could make another burrito… and what the heck would be wrong with that????
But…if you’re in the mood to try another fun, quick lunch idea with refried beans instead (and you’ll want to use up your beans quickly as you know they only last a day or two in the fridge before they really start to stink to high heaven), here’s a great option for you (and me :o)). Refried Bean Sandwiches!!!
It’s so easy and gooey, warm and delicious, is a great protein source, is fun to eat, and is another surprisingly quick alternative to turkey and PB&J! See what you think! I’m pretty sure they’ll make you smile…
Open Faced Bean Sandwiches
- Fat Free Refried Beans
- 4 Slices of whole wheat bread, toasted
- A sprinkle of shredded cheddar
- A sprinkle of shredded lettuce (iceberg gives a great crunch, romaine or other leafy lettuces deliver better nutrition – take your pick!)
- Finely diced fresh tomatoes (optional – I have a hard time eating anything without tomatoes…)
- Dash hot sauce (also optional)
- Toast bread slices. Spread beans liberally (about 2 TBS) over toast.
- Sprinkle with cheese and broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and beans are warmed.
- Remove promptly from broiler, place on serving plate, and sprinkle shredded lettuce to taste on top.
- Serve with a side of fruit. Hot sauce optional.